OverAll Status

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Hi,
First of all, thank you for your script ;-)
I'm trying to have it working on my env but I never have a green flag and I don't understand why.
I guess the problem is with "site link" (orange) and "Replication Status" where a lot of "total replication" are in RED.
Is there a metric on this ?!? Why some are GREEN and others in RED ? (no errors)

regards.

Red.
Coordinator
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Hi,
Thank you for using my script.
First of all, you should modify the xml file to reflect your environment. There is also a paramater to modify in the ps1 script: $NumberOfPartitions. It must reflect the total of partitions you have.
You should also download the new version I have posted. I saw some minor bugs when there is only one site.

Regards,
Nicolas.
Jul 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Edited Jul 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Hi Nicolas,
I'll try today the new script and I'll modify the ps1 too, posting the results.

I'm afraid that this is the problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2512643

thank you for your work.

Regards. Red.
Jul 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Hi Nicolas,
I'm using the new script and solved the error related to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2512643
but still I have a RED flag as overall status and I can't figure out why !!!
The only Red lines I see on the webpage are related to the column "Total Replication"
in the "Replication Status" where some numbers are in red and others in green.
I have some orange lines in "Status" column of "GPO Status" saying

"Policies OK
Validating DCs...
Available DCs:
xxxx
Searching for policies...
Found 42 policies"

any suggestion ?!?

Regards.

Red.
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM
Hi Red,

Excellent news!
As far as I know, the number of replicas handled by a DC is a multiple of the number of partitions. If you have 6 partitions, each DC should have a "Total Replication" equals to 0 or 6 or 12... So that "Total Replication" modulo the numbers of partitions should be 0. To be honest, we only have a single domain. The behavior could be different with multiple domains. Have a look to the TXT file. Look for the line "Adding the Replication Status" and you should see the exact message.
Regarding the policies, you should see the exact error in the log.
Feel free to post part of the log.

Regards,
Nicolas
Jul 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Edited Jul 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Hi Nicolas,
regarding policy check, in the txt I have no error but this lines are presented as Orange in the webpage

07/10/2014 11:39:10 --- Policies OK
07/10/2014 11:39:10 --- Validating DCs...
07/10/2014 11:39:10 --- Available DCs:
07/10/2014 11:39:10 --- xxxxx
07/10/2014 11:39:10 --- Searching for policies...
07/10/2014 11:39:10 --- Found 42 policies

this lines are added for every child domain in the forest. There should be a way to clean them up !! ;-)

Same problem for Site Link (always in orange) trying different syntax and configuration in the xml
('cause of DEFAULTIPSITELINK ?!?) I'm not sure 'bout the exact syntax requested by your xml

Total Replication: never heard 'bout multiple of partitions but I'll solve putting partition=1

Regards.

Red.

P.S. in you .ps1 I found some reference to 'DC04' and I changed it with the name of one of my DC. It would be better to put a variable ;-)
Coordinator
Jul 14, 2014 at 7:38 AM
Hi Red,

I have uploaded v1.07. I removed the test made with the total partitions as it sounds to be not worthy. I modified the way gpotool results are handled. I hope it will fix your problem. It should clean up the lines you reported.

The reference to DC04 is not very important. It was only used for testing purpose. It doesn't even exist in our environment! Each function with DC04 uses a variable which is enforced during the call.

Regarding XML, the test let me see if someone has modified the configuration. The easiest way to create the XML is to use a previously HMTL file created by the report and to copy and paste the sites configuration.

Regards,
Nicolas.
Coordinator
Jul 14, 2014 at 7:39 AM
Hi Red,

I have uploaded v1.07. I removed the test made with the total partitions as it sounds to be not worthy. I modified the way gpotool results are handled. I hope it will fix your problem. It should clean up the lines you reported.

The reference to DC04 is not very important. It was only used for testing purpose. It doesn't even exist in our environment! Each function with DC04 uses a variable which is enforced during the call.

Regarding XML, the test let me see if someone has modified the configuration. The easiest way to create the XML is to use a previously HMTL file created by the report and to copy and paste the sites configuration.

Regards,
Nicolas.
Jul 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Edited Jul 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Hi Nicolas,
great improvement, thank you.

Parsing thel log is now much better but lines with servername ($server) are still present and marked orange.
I can manage it adding all my DC names in the log cleaning function !!! ;-)

Regarding Site-Links, there's no way to get rid of it 'cause of syntax rules in XML files and compare function to match
log and xml file:

html result:
<span style="color:#ffaf00">DEFAULTIPSITELINK<br>AA <-> BB<br>AA <-> CC<br>AA <-> DD</span>

xml file:
<link>DEFAULTIPSITELINK</link>
<link>AA - BB</link>
<link>AA - CC</link>
<link>AA - DD</link>

log file:
Site Links: DEFAULTIPSITELINK; AA <-> BB; AA <-> CC; AA <-> DD

I can't use syntax "AA <->BB" in XML file cause <> are special char so I always have a mismatch between log and xml causing orange flag in html

Regards.

Red.

P.S. with some tricks, I have my html with all the lines in GREEN but the main flag is ORANGE !!! Any idea ?!?
'Cause of DFSR Backlog Status EMPTY ?!? ;-)
Jul 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM
I've got IT.

In html code I have some lines, related to Group Policy parsing, with:
<span style="color:#ffaf00"><span style="color:green">
on te same line.

I changed the color check lines with:

foreach ($line in $htmlCode)
{
if ($line.Contains('<span style="color:red">'))
{
    $flagRed = $true
}
if ($line.Contains('<span style="color:#ffaf00">'))
{
    $flagYellow = $true
}
if ($line.Contains('<span style="color:#ffaf00"><span style="color:green">'))
{
    $flagYellow = $false
}
}

'cause I don't know how to write if line contains $line.Contains('<span style="color:#ffaf00"> but not <span style="color:green"> :-) :-) :-)

Red.
Coordinator
Jul 14, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Hi,

Good news.
For XML, you may try http://www.devx.com/tips/Tip/14068 to use < and >. I made a test: it sounds to be ok.
If you use FRS to sync SYSVOL then DFSR will be empty but you won't get any red or yellow flag.
I have never seen the case you explained for Group Policy. I would not use you syntax, I prefer:
foreach ($line in $htmlCode)
{
    if ($line.Contains('<span style="color:red">'))
    {
        $flagRed = $true
    }
    if ($line.Contains('<span style="color:#ffaf00">') -and !$line.Contains('<span style="color:#ffaf00"><span style="color:green">'))
    {
        $flagYellow = $true
    }
}
To be honest, I cannot see where this can happen. I would fix it when I understand what happened.

Regards,
Nicolas
Jul 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Hi,
I prefer your syntax too, I'm not a programmer or developer so my "tricks" are poor and too simple !! ;-)

I'm migrating from 2k3 to 2k8 so, for now, I'm still using FRS but I'll soon go to DFRS :-)

I don't know why, but I have some lines with Orange and Green on the same line !!

As a feature request, it would be nice to have the policy list related to domain and not all together (we have 5 domains, with 50 policy for each)
and it's difficult to read and undestand the html report. It would be nice (it should be simpler to read) to have something like:

Domain AAAA Policies:
xxx OK
yyy OK

Domain BBBB Policies:
xxx OK
yyy OK

Thank you very much for your great script, work and time !!!

Regards.

Red.
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Hi Red,

I have added your domain sort request for the GPO. I made some modifications to better handle GPOs. I hope it might solve the Orange/Green status :-)

Regards,
Nicolas
Jul 15, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Edited Jul 15, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Hi Nicolas,
This is EXACTLY what I meant !!!! Thank You very much..You have "beer and pizza" paid in Italy !!!! ;-)

The Gpo problem is completely SOLVED !!!

..but now we have a new problem :-(

Set-ValueAddedHtmlInfo : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'fieldToTest' because it is an empty string.
AD_Health_Check.ps1:2374 char:86
  • ... o -FieldToTest $dfsrOutbandInfos[$i].BacklogCount -TypeOfTest 'DFSRBacklog'
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Set-ValueAddedHtmlInfo], ParameterBindingValidationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyStringNotAllowed,Set-ValueAddedHtmlInfo
Set-ValueAddedHtmlInfo : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'fieldToTest' because it is an empty string.
At D:\Download\Microsoft\AD Health Check\AD_Health_Check_v1.08\AD_Health_Check.ps1:2375 char:87
  • ... o -FieldToTest $dfsrOutbandInfos[$i].FolderEnabled -TypeOfTest 'DFSRFolderEnable ...
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Set-ValueAddedHtmlInfo], ParameterBindingValidationException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyStringNotAllowed,Set-ValueAddedHtmlInfo
At D:\Download\Microsoft\AD Health Check\AD_Health_Check_v1.08\AD_Health_Check.ps1:2376 char:91
  • ... o -FieldToTest $dfsrOutbandInfos[$i].ConnectionEnabled -TypeOfTest 'DFSRConnecti ...
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
anyway the report is clean and well formed !!! :-)

The "site link problem" is still here but I solved forcing it to be always green (site links do not change so often !!!)

Regards.

Red.
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Hi Red,
The parameter 'fieldToTest' is probably empty because of '<' and '>'. Please use http://www.devx.com/tips/Tip/14068 to modify your XML document.
It should solve the issue.
Regards,
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM
Hi Nicolas,
my XML file is the same on all your releases and I'm sure I do not have invalid char (checked with your link).
I believe the problem is related in parsing results from DFSR check that, in my case, is an empty array.

Regards.

Red.